- How does it work?
- When is the best time to join?
- How to join the budget plan
- Are meter readings still needed?
- When will my budget amount change?
- What is the budget settlement?
How does it work?
- The amount you pay is a calculation based on long range weather forecasts, current and forecasted rates for the cost of gas, and the record of consumption of natural gas for the home in the past. After all factors are considered, the estimate is divided into equal monthly payments. Payments for newly constructed homes are based on square meters and the number of gas appliances.
- Once a year, your annual gas costs and budget payments are compared.
- If your total gas costs are more or less than you paid, we will adjust your monthly payment in the next budget period.
When is the best time to join?
Your application is welcome any time and we will start you on the Budget Plan when we receive it. If you ask to start the plan in the fall, you ensure that the cost of gas for the coldest months (when gas rates and consumption are usually higher) is spread out over as many warmer months as possible.
How to join the budget plan
- Ensure your account is paid in full.
- Read your meter.
- Call our Customer Assistance Centre weekdays 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.,
Saturdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Regulated Financial Services Electricity center: 1-866-420-3183
Regulated Financial Services Gas center: 1-877-420-3175
Are meter readings still needed?
Yes, to ensure your monthly gas charges and budget amount are accurate.
When will my budget amount change?
When there is a significant change in natural gas costs and/or the amount of gas you use. Please let us know if you install additional natural gas appliances or renovate your home.
What is the budget settlement?
The introduction of the monthly gas rate makes it more difficult to forecast what impact rates will have on the budget plan customers. Where the amount collected from a Budget customer differs from the monthly gas rate, the difference is made up as either a debit or credit.
Our objective is to credit customers as quickly and efficiently as possible. The credit will be handled in one of two ways, depending on the amount of the credit:
- Customers with a credit of less than one budget payment after their charges for the settlement month are calculated, will have their first payment of the new budget year (October for North, November for South) reduced by the amount of the credit.
- Customers with a credit of more than one budget payment after their charges for the settlement month are calculated will receive a cheque for the credit included with the monthly statement.
If a customer is in a debit position, their amount owing will be rolled into the next year's budget plan. The total debit will be divided by 12 and applied to each of 12 monthly payments in next year's budget plan. The minimum debit applied is $1/month.
Customers wishing to have their settlement handled in a different way should contact our Customer Assistance Centre.