Direct Energy Regulated Services ®

Financial Assistance

Financial assistance may be available if you're experiencing financial difficulty. Below is a list of agencies who can help.

Alberta Seniors and Housing - Direct to Tenant Rent Supplement Program

Phone: 780-422-0122 Edmonton; 403-297-7453 Calgary; Toll-Free Alberta 310-0000

  • A subsidy paid directly to an eligible tenant to assist with their rental cost
  • Applicant must meet the 2014 Core Need Income Thresholds and citizenship requirements
  • Priority for assistance will be based on assisting those in greatest need first
  • Alberta Works

    Phone: 1-866-644-5135

  • Emergency needs allowance
  • One-time utility assistance with disconnection notice (may assist second time but requires repayment)
  • Deposits/reconnection fees are assessed separately
  • Aspen Family and Community Network - Calgary

    Phone: 1-888-753-9828

  • Home Stay Prevention Program for families housed, but at imminent risk of homelessness as a result of pending eviction due to rental and/or utility arrears
  • Families are required to complete a screening process and meet specific program criteria
  • Canadian Forces Personnel Assistance Fund - Financial Distress Program

    Phone: 1-888-753-9828

  • Provides assistance through grants and loans to serving and former Canadian Forces personnel when warranted by distress or other qualifying circumstances
  • Care Connect - Calgary

    Phone: 403-264-2636

  • Provides very limited funding for emergency utility payments
  • Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS) - Calgary

    Phone: 403-717-0922

  • Assists with utilities payments
  • A disconnection notice, 90 days worth of bank statements, two pieces of ID, and a proof of income required
  • Seniors financial assistance programs

    Toll-Free: 1-877-644-9992 or 780-644-9992 in Edmonton

  • Financial assistance for low-income seniors with a disconnection notice may be available through the Special Needs Assistance for Seniors program for each utility (water, electricity, gas) once every 3 years.
  • Red Cross - Edomonton, Calgary and Area

    Phone: 403-541-6119

  • Available from mid-October to mid-April only
  • Provides limited funding, on case by case basis
  • Veterans Affairs - Canada

    Phone: 1-866-522-2122

  • Benevolent fund for emergency financial assistance for active and retired veterans
  • 211 Alberta - Edmonton, Calgary and Wood Buffalo

    Phone: 211

  • Community support information line